Thursday, April 22, 2010

Salem 10k

Well this is awkward to start...so I'm going to pretend like I don't need some clever icebreaker post or anything. Just go read the "about me." So I ran my first 10k last Saturday. It was I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E. My goal was to finish without stopping. I was assuming I would take 70-75 minutes. Umm...try 58:41!!! It took me that long to run 5 miles the week before, so I was in total shock. I have never been more excited than when I saw the clock from a few hundred meters away!

My cousin, Stacy, and I signed up to do the 10k together. Our strategy was just to run our own races - we didn't train together, so there was no sense in trying to run together. She ran about 10-20 feet in front of me the whole time, but by the end she only finished ahead of me by 1 second. There was fresh fruit and bagels afterwards, and a nice little awards ceremony (Stacy got 3rd in 20-29 yo females! yay!). It was a suuper small race, but everyone stuck around afterwards and socialized, and it was actually really fun!! The only other race I've done is the YMCA Turkey Trot in downtown Pittsburgh last November. There were thousands of people...not quite as personal! But still fun! Oh, and get this....it took me 32:10 to run the 5k Turkey Trot! I need to do another 5k soon I'd say...a PR is for sure :)

Oh, I never said! It was the Salem Community Center Spring Run-Off 10k in Salem, OH that I did last Saturday (outside of Youngstown). Can't wait to do my next 10k....and I'm already considering a half-marathon! Ahhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment